Is White Vinegar Toxic To Dogs?

Dog owners are often wary of using harsh chemicals for household cleaning, knowing that residue left behind can be toxic if pets ingest or come into contact with it. White vinegar is commonly touted as a dog-safe natural cleaning alternative. But is white vinegar truly non-toxic for dogs? This question matters because vinegar is found in many homes and recommended in DIY dog shampoo recipes. Accidental ingestion could occur during bath time or from cleaning solution spills. Understanding vinegar’s safety profile for canines helps owners make informed choices to avoid endangering their pets.

What is White Vinegar?

White vinegar, also sometimes called distilled vinegar, is a clear vinegar made through the fermentation of ethanol. It is comprised of mainly water and acetic acid (https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-white-vinegar-made-of).

White vinegar has many common household uses. It is often used for cooking, baking, cleaning, weed control, and more. The active ingredient in white vinegar is acetic acid, usually around 5-10% (https://www.masterclass.com/articles/white-wine-vinegar-vs-white-vinegar). The acetic acid gives white vinegar its sour taste and strong, pungent smell.

Is Vinegar Toxic to Dogs?

There are some concerns about the potential toxicity of vinegar for dogs due to the acetic acid content. Acetic acid is the main active ingredient in vinegar that gives it the sour taste and pungent smell. In high concentrations, acetic acid can be corrosive and damaging to tissues, especially the gastrointestinal tract and mouth/throat if ingested [1].

The LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of test subjects) for acetic acid is 3310-3970 mg/kg in rats [1]. This means acetic acid toxicity generally occurs from ingesting very large amounts. For a 20 lb dog, it would take over 200 ml of pure vinegar to reach toxic levels. However, the acrid taste usually prevents dogs from consuming such large amounts.

In small quantities, vinegar is generally safe for dogs. Using a tablespoon or two of vinegar diluted in water for home remedies or as a dietary supplement is not considered toxic. However, vinegar straight from the bottle can cause chemical burns in the mouth, throat, and stomach. It’s important to dilute vinegar before giving it to dogs.

Uses of Vinegar with Dogs

White vinegar can be used as a natural cleaning and pest control solution for dogs when diluted properly. Some common uses of vinegar with dogs include:

Cleaning Products

White vinegar is an effective homemade cleaner and deodorizer. It can be diluted with water and used to clean dog bowls, toys, beds, and other surfaces. The acetic acid in vinegar helps kill bacteria, mold, and germs. Always test surfaces first to ensure vinegar does not damage the material. Never use vinegar at full strength for cleaning.

Repelling Fleas and Ticks

A vinegar bath can help repel fleas and ticks from your dog’s skin. Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water and apply it to your dog’s coat during bathing. Rinse thoroughly afterwards. The vinegar helps alter the pH on your dog’s skin, making it less hospitable to parasites. Do not get the diluted vinegar mix in your dog’s eyes.

Minor Skin Irritations

The anti-fungal and antibacterial properties in diluted vinegar can help treat minor skin irritations like hot spots, ringworm, yeast infections, and itchy skin. Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water and apply it to the affected area with a clean cloth 2-3 times a day. Always monitor your dog’s skin closely when using vinegar topically.

It’s important to always dilute vinegar before use on dogs. Undiluted vinegar can irritate skin and mucous membranes. Consult your veterinarian before using vinegar if your dog has sensitive skin or open wounds. When used properly, vinegar can be a helpful natural supplement for dogs.

Risks of Vinegar for Dogs

While small amounts of diluted vinegar are generally safe for dogs, there are some risks to be aware of when using vinegar around your pet:

Large Ingestion Poisoning: Consuming substantial quantities of undiluted vinegar can cause poisoning in dogs. Signs of vinegar poisoning include panting, lethargy, vomiting, and potential damage to the throat, esophagus, and digestive tract. Household vinegars have a very low pH and can burn internal tissue when ingested in large amounts. Seek emergency veterinary care if you suspect your dog has consumed more than a small lick of vinegar.

Skin/Eye Burns: Undiluted vinegar can cause burns when it comes into contact with eyes or skin, especially if left for prolonged periods. Always mix vinegar with water before applying it to your dog’s coat or feet. Flush eyes with water if vinegar gets in their eyes.

Upset Stomach: While small ingestions of diluted vinegar are usually fine, larger amounts can upset your dog’s stomach. Signs of an upset stomach include vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. Stop giving vinegar if you notice these symptoms and call your vet if they persist.

Safe Dilution Ratios

When using vinegar around dogs, it’s important to properly dilute it to avoid irritation or poisoning.

For cleaning purposes, most experts recommend diluting white vinegar in a 1:1 solution with water. A 50/50 mix of vinegar and water is generally considered safe for dogs when cleaning floors, furniture, crates, etc. PetMD recommends starting with a weaker dilution at first such as 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water to ensure your dog doesn’t have any negative reactions.

For topical use on dogs, such as treating skin conditions, the vinegar should be diluted even further. A commonly recommended topical dilution is 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. Some holistic vets suggest starting with 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water when applying to sensitive areas like paws or eyes. Always monitor your dog closely when using diluted vinegar topically and discontinue use if any irritation develops.

Never use undiluted vinegar directly on a dog’s skin or coat, as the acidity can cause burns. Carefully follow dilution recommendations when using vinegar topically or for cleaning around pets.

Signs of Vinegar Poisoning

If a dog ingests a large amount of vinegar, it can cause severe gastrointestinal upset. Some common symptoms of vinegar poisoning in dogs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Drooling

Balsamic vinegar in particular can be more toxic than other types of vinegar. Poisoning symptoms may come on rapidly within an hour of ingestion. Other dangerous symptoms include difficulty breathing, collapse, and bloody diarrhea.

If your dog exhibits any symptoms of vinegar poisoning, it is imperative to seek veterinary attention immediately. The vet may induce vomiting or give activated charcoal to absorb any remaining vinegar in the stomach. They will also provide supportive care with IV fluids and medications as needed. Quick treatment greatly improves the chances of a full recovery. Delaying medical care can worsen your dog’s condition.

First Aid for Vinegar Ingestion

If your dog ingests a large amount of vinegar, immediate action should be taken to reduce absorption and minimize any potential toxicity. Some initial steps include:

  • Inducing vomiting can help quickly eliminate any vinegar in the stomach before it gets absorbed. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide based on your dog’s weight and consult with your vet on proper dosage. Give some water after to rinse the mouth.
  • Activated charcoal can help bind to vinegar and reduce gastrointestinal absorption when given by mouth. The typical dosage is 1-4 grams per kg of weight. Consult your vet before administering.
  • Seek veterinary care right away, even if you’ve induced vomiting. Your vet can check for any oral irritation, do blood work to assess metabolic changes, provide IV fluids for hydration support, and give medications if needed. Don’t wait to see if symptoms develop.
  • Quick action is essential for the best outcome when a significant amount of vinegar has been ingested. Call poison control or your vet immediately for the right first aid steps for your dog.

    Preventing Accidental Poisoning

    There are some simple steps pet owners can take to prevent accidental poisoning from vinegar:

    • Keep bottles and containers of vinegar out of your dog’s reach, such as in a high cabinet or locked pantry.
    • Clean up any vinegar spills right away so your dog cannot access them and lick the floor or counters.
    • Monitor your dog closely after using vinegar in cleaning solutions or in their environment. Look for signs of licking surfaces, vomiting, excessive salivation or other symptoms of poisoning.
    • Never leave bowls of vinegar solution unattended where your dog may drink it.

    Taking preventative measures can help avoid accidental ingestion and keep your dog safe if you choose to use vinegar in your home.

    Conclusion

    In summary, white vinegar can be toxic to dogs if ingested in large quantities. However, small amounts diluted in water and used topically are generally safe. White vinegar has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can be useful for cleaning your dog’s ears and skin when properly diluted. Still, vinegar should always be used carefully around dogs. Make sure they don’t have access to full-strength vinegar, and never use it undiluted on their skin. If you suspect your dog has ingested large amounts of vinegar, call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center right away. With proper precautions, vinegar can be used safely in canine care. The takeaway is to always dilute vinegar before use on or around dogs and keep it safely out of their reach.

    Scroll to Top