How Much Mouse Poison Will Make A Dog Sick?

Dangers of Rodenticides for Pets

Rodenticides are inherently toxic to dogs and cats because they are designed to kill rodents. The most common active ingredients in rodenticides that are dangerous to pets include:

  • Bromadiolone – an anticoagulant that prevents blood clotting
  • Brodifacoum – a highly potent anticoagulant
  • Bromethalin – affects the central nervous system

These ingredients prevent the blood from clotting properly or disrupt nerve cell communication, which can lead to bleeding disorders or neurological problems in pets if ingested (Source).

Common symptoms of rodenticide poisoning in dogs and cats include:

  • Vomiting/diarrhea
  • Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum
  • Blood in urine or stool
  • Lethargy
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of appetite
  • Seizures

Pets are often exposed through primary poisoning by directly eating rodenticide bait or secondary poisoning by eating a poisoned rodent. Rodenticides designed to kill with a single dose are most dangerous. Even small ingestions can be fatal without prompt treatment.

Preventing Accidental Poisonings

The best way to prevent accidental poisonings is to keep all rodenticides and toxins securely out of reach of pets. Store them in locked cabinets or high shelves that pets cannot access. Never leave bait stations or loose pellets where a dog or cat could get to them.

When possible, use pet-safe rodent control products. Look for “pet-safe” labels and avoid products with active ingredients like bromethalin, chlorophacinone, and bromadiolone which are highly toxic. Opt for traps and natural deterrents instead of poisons when you can.

Be vigilant about proper disposal – discard used baits and empty containers in outdoor trash bins that pets cannot get into. Never dump them directly into yards or gardens where pets spend time.

Regularly inspect the areas your pet has access to and look for any potential toxins. Act quickly to block access or remove them to keep your pet safe.

What to Do If Your Pet is Poisoned

If you suspect your pet has ingested rodenticide, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. The longer rodenticide circulates in your pet’s system, the higher the risk of severe, irreversible effects. According to the experts at Poison Control, you should call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 if you believe your pet may have eaten rodenticide (

Rodenticide poisoning can be fatal if left untreated, so recognizing the early symptoms is critical. According to VCA Hospitals, signs of rodenticide toxicity include lethargy, loss of appetite, increased or decreased thirst, bruising, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, blood in the urine or stool, and heavy panting ( Your veterinarian will check your pet’s blood clotting times and may administer vitamin K1 therapy and/or blood transfusions.

If possible, try to identify the type and amount of rodenticide ingested so you can provide this information to your veterinarian. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, attempts to induce vomiting at home are not recommended as anticoagulant rodenticides are adsorbed quickly from the GI tract. Your veterinarian will determine the best course of decontamination based on the specifics of your pet’s poisoning ( With prompt veterinary treatment, many pets poisoned by rodenticides can recover fully.

Promoting Pet Safety

There are many steps pet owners can take to ensure their home environment is safe for their furry companions. It’s important to childproof your home by putting away any hazardous items your pet could get into. Keep medicines, cleaning supplies, and toxic plants out of reach of pets. Secure loose cables, cover electrical outlets, and remove small choke hazards like pins, rubber bands or toy pieces (Source).

You should also train your pets to avoid dangerous areas and objects in your home. Use treats and positive reinforcement when teaching them to avoid hazards like staircases, hot surfaces, or fragile decorations. Provide plenty of appropriate chew toys so they don’t mouth hazardous items. Confine pets when you use chemicals for cleaning or pest control, and always keep household toxins stored securely in closets or cabinets (Source).

Finally, always supervise interactions between children and pets. Even well-trained animals can react instinctively in surprising situations. Teach children how to gently interact with pets and when to leave them alone. Separate pets from kids during times of excitement or chaos in your home (Source). With some preparation and training, you can promote daily safety for all family members.

Scroll to Top