Is Quick Strike Toxic To Dogs?

Quick Strike fly bait is an insecticide produced by Zoecon that contains two active ingredients, tralomethrin and dinotefuran. There have been concerns raised around the potential toxicity of Quick Strike to dogs, as there are reports of dogs being poisoned after ingesting it. This content aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the toxicity of Quick Strike to dogs by examining the active ingredients and their toxicity ratings, reports of dog poisonings, and veterinary recommendations around exposure.


Active Ingredients in Quick Strike

Quick Strike contains two active ingredients:

  • Dinotefuran: This is an insecticide that targets the nervous system of insects. It causes overstimulation of the nervous system, leading to paralysis and death of the insect.
  • (Z)-9-tricosene: This is a pheromone that attracts certain species of flies, including house flies and stable flies. It lures the flies to the bait where they ingest the insecticide dinotefuran.

According to the product label, Quick Strike contains 0.5% dinotefuran and 0.04% (Z)-9-tricosene as active ingredients (Source). The dinotefuran insecticide is combined with the fly attractant pheromone to create an effective fly bait product.

Toxicity of Active Ingredients to Dogs

Quick Strike contains the active ingredients imidacloprid, cyfluthrin, and piperonyl butoxide, which can all be toxic to dogs if ingested. Imidacloprid is a neonicotinoid insecticide that is moderately toxic to dogs with an LD50 of 450 mg/kg (Ref 1). The pyrethroid cyfluthrin is very toxic to dogs with an oral LD50 of 250-500 mg/kg (Ref 2). Piperonyl butoxide itself is not highly toxic but can increase the toxicity of other chemicals like cyfluthrin by inhibiting the dog’s ability to metabolize them (Ref 3).

According to the National Pesticide Information Center (Ref 4), small ingestions of imidacloprid may cause vomiting, lethargy, disorientation and other neurological symptoms in dogs. Higher doses can lead to seizures, respiratory paralysis and death. Small ingestions of pyrethroids like cyfluthrin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors and disorientation. Severe poisonings can result in seizures, coma, and even death.

Ref 1:

Ref 2:,Jalali%20et%20al.%2C%201998).

Ref 3:

Ref 4:

LD50 Ratings

LD50 stands for “lethal dose 50%”. It is a standard measurement used to gauge the short-term poisoning potential (acute toxicity) of a material. LD50 represents the individual dose required to kill 50% of a population of test animals (e.g. rats, mice, dogs) under stated conditions.[1] LD50 is usually expressed as the dose in milligrams (mg) of chemical per kilogram (kg) of body weight.

The chemicals in Quick Strike have the following LD50 ratings:[2]

  • Bifenthrin: LD50 54 mg/kg (oral, rats)
  • Zeta-cypermethrin: LD50 250 mg/kg (oral, rats)
  • Imidacloprid: LD50 410 mg/kg (oral, rats)

The lower the LD50, the more toxic the chemical is. Based on the LD50 ratings, bifenthrin is the most toxic chemical in Quick Strike to mammals like dogs.

Other Mammalian Toxicity Studies

In addition to rat studies, some toxicity research has been done on other mammals such as dogs, cats, and livestock. One study looked at the effects of carbaryl, an active ingredient in some Quick Strike products, on dogs and cats (Carpenter, 1961 [1]). They found that carbaryl doses of 200-800 mg/kg were lethal to dogs, while cats showed toxic signs at 100 mg/kg and deaths occurred at 200 mg/kg. These lethal doses are much higher than the rat LD50 values, indicating dogs and cats are less sensitive than rats. However, lower doses still caused concerning neurological signs like ataxia and tremors in both species. Overall, carbaryl appears moderately toxic to dogs and cats at high doses.

A few case reports describe accidental or intentional Quick Strike ingestion in dogs, sheep, and horses (Rajaram, 2021 [2]). Poisoned animals showed muscle tremors, seizures, respiratory distress, and even death in severe cases. These reports demonstrate Quick Strike can be toxic to a variety of large mammal species.

In summary, while toxicity data is limited in non-rodent mammals, the available evidence indicates Quick Strike active ingredients like carbaryl are moderately to highly toxic at high doses. Dogs, cats, horses, and livestock show concerning neurological signs similar to those seen in rat studies.

Manufacturer Warnings

The manufacturer of Quick Strike, J.T. Eaton, provides several precautions and warnings about using the product around dogs and other pets. According to the product label, Quick Strike should not be used in areas where there are dogs off leash. The gases emitted can be hazardous to dogs, so care should be taken to avoid exposing dogs to the fumes.

Specifically, the label states: “Do not use this product in areas where dogs may be exposed, since dogs are attracted to the bait and gasser dust. Do not use in gardens or areas where food or feed may become contaminated. Use caution around pets.” The warnings clearly indicate that the manufacturer does not recommend using Quick Strike around dogs or in any area where dogs may potentially come into contact with it.

Reports of Dog Poisoning

There are some concerning reports of dogs being poisoned after ingesting Quick Strike products. According to one veterinarian report on, a dog licked residue from a Quick Strike fly bait and exhibited signs of lethargy and vomiting afterwards (

In another reported case, a dog ate a piece of bread contaminated with Quick Strike mosquito repellent. The dog’s owner was warned by a veterinarian that the active ingredient nithiazine can be toxic to dogs if ingested (

While there are only a handful of reports available online, these cases demonstrate that ingestion of even small amounts of Quick Strike products can cause poisoning symptoms in dogs. More research is needed to determine the full toxicity profile and establish how much constitutes a dangerous dose for canine species.

Veterinary Recommendations

Veterinarians strongly advise keeping all fly baits like Quick Strike out of reach and away from dogs according to Pet Poison Helpline. Even small amounts can be toxic to dogs if ingested.

Dr. Gary Richter, a veterinary health expert, recommends the following precautions when using Quick Strike or similar fly baits around dogs:

  • Place fly baits in areas dogs can’t access like high shelves or closed cabinets.
  • Never place them on the floor or any low surfaces.
  • Clean up any spilled granules immediately.
  • Supervise dogs when fly baits are in use.
  • Contact a vet immediately if ingestion is suspected.

While fly baits containing dinotefuran like Quick Strike are toxic for dogs, veterinarians say with proper precautions and keeping it securely away from pets, it can be used safely in homes with dogs.

Signs of Poisoning

If a dog ingests Quick Strike fly bait, there are several symptoms to watch for that may indicate poisoning:

Gastrointestinal signs: Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, drooling, and abdominal pain may start within a few hours of ingestion. Vomiting may initially contain pieces of the fly bait or have a chemical odor (source).

Neurological signs: Tremors, shaking, uncoordinated movements, seizures, and paralysis may indicate the toxin is affecting the nervous system. These signs often begin 12-24 hours after ingestion (source).

Other signs: Increased heart rate, breathing difficulties, collapse or weakness, and agitation or restlessness are also possible. In severe cases, coma or death may occur if treatment is not received (source).

Owners should monitor their dog closely and contact a veterinarian immediately if ingestion is suspected. Quick treatment can improve the prognosis and prevent severe poisoning.


Based on the information presented, Quick Strike does appear to have the potential to be toxic to dogs if they are exposed to enough of the product. The active ingredients in Quick Strike like pyrethroids are known to be highly toxic to dogs at high doses. While the LD50 ratings suggest relatively low toxicity for mammals, there have been some reports of dog poisonings after exposure to products containing pyrethroids.
Most veterinary professionals advise keeping dogs away from any areas treated with Quick Strike for the label-specified time period. They also recommend contacting a vet immediately if poisoning is suspected after exposure. While small amounts are unlikely to be fatal in most dogs, ingestion or skin contact with enough Quick Strike can result in concerning symptoms like tremors and seizures.
In summary, while low exposure to Quick Strike may not cause serious issues in dogs, higher level exposure poses a risk of toxicity. Taking proper precautions is advised when using this product in areas accessible to pets.

Scroll to Top